Our Mission and Vision
We are a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. We ascribe to the Seven Principles and Sources of the UUA that can be found here.
The following statements have been written and adopted by our own congregation and reflect what we aspire to be and how we act on those aspirations.
Our Vision Statement
“We gather aspiring to be a thriving, caring, and welcoming community that supports each person’s spiritual journey, embraces diversity, challenges us to live responsibly and is a catalyst for a just and compassionate world.” (adopted in May 2005)
Our Mission Statement
“As a diverse liberal faith congregation, we make a difference in our lives, our children’s lives, and the wider community by creating an environment for spiritual growth and fulfillment, building meaningful connections, and for actively advancing peace and justice in the world.” (adopted in June, 2009)
Goals We Have Set to Achieve Our Mission
Pillar I: Creating an Environment for Spiritual Growth
Goal: We provide inspirational worship.
- Our services offer (1) a variety of music and musical genres, (2) insights into our own UU identity and faith, and (3) inspiration for our members to change their lives in positive ways.
Goal: We provide religious education for all ages.
- Our religious education curriculum provides lessons that focus on UU history, principles, and world religions so that our youth receive a well-rounded religious education and understand UU concepts.
- Our adults are offered and encouraged to take part in a variety of opportunities that include interfaith exploration and dialogue, celebration of a variety of holidays and holy days, and deeper exploration into Unitarian Universalism.
Goal: We support and provide opportunities for individual spiritual practice.
Goal: Our building and our grounds are safe, welcoming, comfortable, and accessible to all who seek their use in harmony with our mission.
Pillar II: Building Meaningful Connections
Goal: At the UCWC people feel welcome, dialogues flourish, and relationships develop through good times and bad.
- We provide a multitude of opportunities for social engagement, mutual support, musical sharing, and shared experiences about living a meaning-filled life. Our leadership demonstrates appreciation and gratitude to members of the congregation for their contributions of time and talent and encourages this behavior as a culture throughout the congregation.
Goal: To further the Universalist-Unitarian principles of striving for world community and accepting one another, we maintain intentional involvement with diverse populations and promote diversity within our congregation.
- We provide a welcoming atmosphere for diverse populations in our services, events and activities.
- We provide opportunities to interact with diverse populations within the larger community.
Pillar III: Advancing Peace and Justice in the World
Goal: We work to have an impact on economic, environmental, and social justice issues at the local, national and international levels.
- Our members contribute time, talent, and donations to charitable organizations serving the needs of the local or wider community.
- We network with each other and with other organizations to share information and experiences and to grow from the experiences of others. We participate in public actions to influence local and national legislative efforts, to improve economic and social equity, to reduce violence and injustice, and to protect or support the ecological environment.
- Our building and our grounds are safe, welcoming, comfortable, and accessible to all who seek their use in harmony with our mission.